Tuesday 4 January 2011

2011 Double Review - Fallout: New Vegas + Bear

Happy 2011 Mighty Spaceman from the Future! So, its been a while. But now we are out of the Christmas period I thought we could do with some new reviews here on gamesJunction so here they are.

The first thing I wanted to talk about was Fallout: New Vegas. There has been alot of flak around this game because of the numerous bugs, the game crashing constantly, and the fact that it was on an "outdated" engine. I have now completed the main story from one of the factions, as well as a number of sidequests, and I have to say these do not stop it from being a good game. I know people are going to disagree with me when I say this but I think it is better than Fallout 3. It may have a smaller map, but there are were alot better with their space management this time around. More towns, more sidequest trails, and more of an overarching plot than Fallout 3 had. If I had to summarise my experience in one word it would be "fast". The plot moves as quickly as you want it to, but some of the sidequests can be completed by either talking down to people or by shooting them in the head. This is not a bad thing as they are trying to cater to many playstyles of different players, but if I have a short time avaliable to play, I am going to go for the shorter option. The good thing about this game though is that it always keeps you guessing. For example, do I help the super mutants who only want to be left alone and gain infamy amongst the people I am trying to help already, or do I kill them and gain the infamy amongst the super mutants? It is also about the risk versus reward in these kind of scenarios. If I help everyone, I might get more or less. You just don't know. So to end this part of the review, Fallout: New Vegas, not as bad as you might have heard, good game, 7/10.

So to move onto a movie that I bought a while ago and never got around to watching until last week. Bear. This is by far one of the most entertaining movies I have ever watched. It is so unbelievably ludicrus, that it flys high above everyones expectations. I will now summarise the plot. Some people get a flat tyre and crash into a forest. They replace the tyre and decide to camp out for the night in the forest despite the fact that they don't know where they are. A bear appears, and then walks off. As the bear walks off, one of the guys shoots it eight times for some reason and the bear doesn't even notice until the seventh one. Bear dies, its mate comes to seek revenge. What follows is the most fun I have ever had taking the piss out of something. Let me just list the more stupid parts of the film:


  1. A bear tips a fully stocked people carrier on its side
  2. The four skinny people tip it back over
  3. The Bear has a flashback to what happened eight or nine seconds ago
  4. The Bear tips the people carrier over again, but on its back this time.
  5. A guy leaves to go to a lodge nearby that he hasn't ever mentioned up to this point
  6. Two of the skinny people tip the people carrier over FROM ITS BACK.
  7. The guy comes back from the lodge and says that they are all dead, probably from the ONE BEAR THATS ATTACKING THEM.
Rage over now, back to the informative stuff. Bear is a bad film. It doesn't cost very much though, and if you want a cheap laugh watching people do what they call acting, it is definatly worth a look.

Well those are the first reviews of 2011, so heres hoping that this year brings us more reviews, and joy all around.

This is Tyramatt, hoping that Dead to Rights doesn't get a sequel this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment