Wednesday 6 April 2011

Sucker Punch Review

Woah. Just woah. This is exactly what I needed after watching Battle: Los Angeles.

I'm just going to come out and say it, Zack Snyder can do little wrong in my books. I am one of the people who loved 300 so much he almost bought a spartan shield to hang up on the wall. I also loved his adaptation of Watchmen, lack of giant squid monsters aside, and it sits on my Top 10 list of Best Movies i've ever seen. Although he seems to be in love with the slow motion effect, Mr. Snyder is one of the best directors of the now in my eyes, although I didn't know that Sucker Punch was one of his movies until I had been sitting down in the cinema for about 20 minutes when one of my friends told me.

Why did I know nothing about this film then? Because nowadays I tend to try as hard as I can to ignore reviews until I have seen the film. Mainly because of the possibility of spoilers, but also because no matter how much you take away from a review, you are still influenced by it in some way. Whether you take almost 100% of their opinion, and when you see the film you agree with them in every way, or you try and stand firm and take away as little of their opinion as possible, you are still being influenced. Not because you are taking away any of their opinion, but you may subconsciously be trying to distance yourself from it and will do your best to disagree with them. Either way I go with film reviewers, I normally go one of the two.

Sucker Punch is about a girl, almost perfectly portrayed by Emily Browning, who gets committed to an insane asylum by her father after she witnesses her sister getting killed. We find out that in five days she will be "Fixed" and she regresses into a dreamlike state where she and the other girls at the asylum go to try and get away from the dreary environment that the asylum brings. Also the Asylum is very blue. Just saying.

In this dreamworld the main girl and four others make a plan to escape the Asylum equivalent, where they must obtain four items as well as one mystery item. They get these items by stealing from various people, and these scenes are symbolised by sequences where the girls go into a war action dream state to get something symbolising the item. Thats all you need to know.

This is one of the best films I have seen in a good long while. Does it make it onto my top 5 list? Unfortunatly no. But it does make it onto my Top 10. Better or worse than Watchmen? Its hard to say, but I believe that when this film comes out on DVD I will be watching Sucker Punch more. Its not much better than Watchmen and sits probably at number 7, with Watchmen at number 8. Congratulations Zack Snyder for getting two films onto my Top 10 favourite films list.

Don't believe the flak this film has been getting, go watch it. Best film I have seen since Black Swan back in January.

This is Tyramatt, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment