Friday 25 March 2011

Battle: Los Angeles Review

This film. Seriously. This film. This was a painful one.

Battle: Los Angeles is one of those films that creates a divide. You know, the sort of divides that on release day leave half the target audience completely oblivious and the other half really overhyped for it? One of those. The basic plot is this. Alien's invade earth and this leads to us following a squadron leader that is just one day away from retirement (No. Seriously) and his squad of american troops that are sent into Los Angeles to save some survivors from a police station.

I was one of the people who didn't have any expectations for this film and the basic concept of the film was explained to me when we were waiting for the film to start. I went into this film with an open mind, and it really did fail to impress.

Lets start with my initial thoughts on the plot. OK, theres a squadron leader with a dark past. Ooh. Original. Oh god and whats with this plot? This is just so boring! How did they make an alien invasion film boring! And whats with this shaky camera angle... Oh god I feel sick.

Lets hope that the squadron troops can bring this back to help me to care about what happens to these characte-- Oh no, just mostly stock troop characters with different levels of patrionism. That was a letdown, hard to enjoy a film when I don't care what happens to the characters.

So the plot was uninteresting, predictable and mostly stock, and the characters were mostly jackasses when they weren't overacting or being overly patriotic. Oh well maybe the aliens can bring it back here, because if we have interesting invading forces then maybe the film's fight scenes will be bette-- Oh for gods sake. Humainoid aliens, and stock designed vehicles. This is just getting ridiculous. We need new designs for alien ships people. Even though the film "Monsters" had awful movie reviews, it at least had earth being invaded by giant octopus aliens. That was at least original.

So, bad writing, stock characters, stock aliens, and just so you know it has a stock conclusion as well. I seriously believe that this an attempt to sell a movie on the premise of explosions alone. I really can't recommend this film with a straight face, but I guess if I had to it would be people who just want to see things blow up. That's if you can't wait for Independance Day 2. I'm not kidding. IMDB it.

For everyone else I would say if you want an intelligent and also clever film about aliens that will actually let you care about the main characters, watch District 9. It was my favourite film of 2009, and it is still in my top 10.

Avoid Battle: Los Angeles. In an upcoming review I will look at Battle of Los Angeles!

Wait. What?

This is Tyramatt, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment