Monday 23 May 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Review

*** THIS REVIEW CONTAINS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE MINOR SPOILERS ***

Let me just start by saying that I hate Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom in Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. They acted out of the characters that had been established in Curse of the Black Pearl and while some may say that was chracter development for their characters, I refuse to believe that. It happened a bit quick. Just saying.

So when I heard that Knightly and Bloom were leaving the series I was happy lets say. I just wanted to see who was going to replace Knightly as the leading lady. They couldn't have made a choice that made me more happy. While I cannot dismiss the thoughts from my mind that they were trying to appeal to more of a male audience, Penelope Cruz was great in this film. Perfect for the role, I can't think of a better actress to play the character that had been written. It also helps that she is actually spanish.

There have been alot of negative reviews for this film and to be honest I can't really see why this film has the damning reviews it has. It picks up where the ending of At Worlds End left off where Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow is looking for the fountain of youth. We get a minority of the side characters back, but thankfully not all as I think that film was bloated with comic relief., from At Worlds End in the form of Gibbs becoming a more main character and Captain Barbosa still alive and kicking as a new Anti-Hero to go against Jack.

This film also has Blackbeard in it. With a twist of him being a weird kind of sorcerer who can make voodoo dolls and put ships in bottles. Strange.. But not a wasted opportunity.

I won't divulge many more of the details of the film, but all i'm going to say is that Jack makes an appearance more than once. I'll let you take that as you want.

It is a good film. I can understand what people are saying with "Jack Should not be the main character" and "It puts too much on the character" but I think this is a good film. Possibly better than Curse of the Black Pearl, which is my favourite of the series so far.

Pirates 4 gets a 9/10 on the Tyramatt Film Scale.

This is Tyramatt, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment